55-gallon drum smoker

This past fall I took an evening welding class at a local technical school and got very excited about making things out of metal. I already had an old stick welder that I didn’t really know how to use, and I ended up buying a MIG welder–the Hobart Handler 140 from Northern. After making lots of small assemblages out of scrap metal  I managed to build a stool and a couple of plant stands, but I had bigger plans.

There’s something special about creating useful objects. A smoker is a nice combination of supremely useful (preparing sustenance) and slightly frivolous (do you need a smoked pork butt to survive?). There are certainly faster and more efficient ways to cook food, but damn smoked meat is good.

I looked around at commercial smokers and custom hacks and talked to a few connoisseurs, and decided the Weber Smoky Mountain was a good design to start from. It’s simple and effective, and in the end it mostly convinced me that the design need not be complex.

Something appealed to me about using the iconic 55-gallon drum as a building block, so I went out and bought a couple from the local scrap yard. One of them even got immediate use as a beer barrel at Crushtoberfest!

A little sketching on different configurations, and I decided a ‘T’ shape would be simple, stable, and functional, and provide plenty of opportunity to practice the MIG on some thin sheet metal. I laid it out in CAD, which made it easy to generate the intersecting curve between the two barrels.

I printed the curve at full scale and wrapped it onto the barrel, traced the curve, then cut the barrel with a jig saw. The first dry fit was amazingly close (way to go, CAD!) but there was still a lot of grinding here and there to accommodate the ribs in the barrels.

IMG_5010 IMG_5011 IMG_5012

I measured and marked the door openings on the barrels and cut them out with the jig saw.

IMG_5020 IMG_5021

The next step was grinding the paint off. The last thing I wanted was burning paint fumes getting into the food, so every bit of paint needed to go. If I were to do this again I would find another way… sand blasting, chemicals, burning it off, etc… anything but taking it off little by little with an angle grinder. I’ll admit the Gator brand paint & rust remover discs I found at Lowes were very effective (if a bit pricey at 9 bucks a piece). But my shop is now coated with a thin layer of green paint dust, much of which ended up in my nose and likely my lungs.

IMG_5009 IMG_5026 IMG_5002

On the first day of grinding I wore a respirator and glasses but nothing else. After washing my hair three times in a row to get the paint dust out I learned to don more protection. For the insides of the barrels I also used an LED headlamp.

As the barrels were made of surprisingly thin metal (20 gauge) the door openings needed to be reinforced with some angle and rolled sheet metal strips, which were plug welded from the outside and tacked from the inside.

IMG_5050 IMG_5049 IMG_5058 IMG_5059

The doors also needed reinforcement, in the form of sheet metal ribs tacked onto the undersides.

IMG_5056 IMG_5060

I welded small pads onto the barrels and doors for the stainless steel hinges. These pads were ground flat then drilled and tapped.

IMG_5065 IMG_5071 IMG_5070 IMG_5072

After grinding the rest of the paint off I welded the two barrels together. This was a challenge, since the metal was so thin and the fit was far from perfect. To prevent burn-through and warpage I used a “stitching” technique where you put a quick tack weld across the joint, wait a second or less and put another tack next to it, continuing like that for about an inch at a time. Apparently this puts less heat to the metal than a continuous bead, but the end result looks very similar. With a little practice I was even able to bridge relatively large gaps between the barrels with short, controlled beads that build on each other, kind of like ants crossing a stream.

IMG_5078 IMG_5079

I shopped around looking for off-the-shelf replacement grates that would work but none of them were big enough for this guy. So I bought about 80 feet of 1/4″ diameter 304 stainless rod (from onlinemetals.com) and cut it to length on the abrasive chop saw. I scored a piece of 1x pine on the table saw at the proper spacing to use as a jig, and clamped the rods down. The MIG would have been perfect for welding the grates, but I would have needed to buy stainless wire and a separate tank of tri-mix gas (65% argon, 33% helium and 2% CO2). The stainless itself was already pushing my budget, so I bought a handful of stainless welding rods and used the arc welder.

IMG_5080 IMG_5081

Next I drilled holes for the dampers– two sets of three holes at the top and two sets of four holes the bottom. The top ones were made like typical grill dampers with a round rotating plate. The bottom ones needed to be on a curved surface, so they slide along the surface rather than rotating.

IMG_5086 IMG_5087

In both cases the moving damper is retained by screws, so I drilled holes and tacked some steel nuts behind them.

IMG_5091

I then drilled a series of holes to allow the smoke and heat into the top barrel. My step drill bit did an amazing job, but the cordless drill still went through two fully charged batteries getting the job done.

IMG_5097

Next I tacked on some small support tabs for the grates and six small sections of square tube as feet.

IMG_5095 IMG_5096

After a thorough deburring, wire-brushing and degreasing with alcohol, I set about applying a high-temperature grill paint. There are several available but Rustoleum High Heat Brush On was a) available at Lowes and b) didn’t require curing at a high temperature like most of the products I found online. Unfortunately it only comes in black, which is actually slightly brownish. They recommend only applying one coat, which I agree with after trying to touch up a few spots after drying, resulting in some weird gloss differences. I then tried the spray can version of the same paint, but found it to be flat finish (vs. the brush-on which is satin). The lesson here is get it right with the first coat because you really can’t go back and hit it again.

IMG_5108 IMG_5110

While the paint was drying (24 hrs… it’s oil-based) I fabricated some handles out of a 1″ maple dowel. I don’t have a wood lathe but the metal lathe did the job. A few coats of Polycrylic and they’re ready to assemble.

IMG_5102 IMG_5104 IMG_5105 IMG_5106

The smoker can be used in one of two different ways– with charcoal in an expanded metal basket or with wood on a traditional fireplace grate. I suppose I could retrofit some gas burners or even electric heating elements, but that’s a project for another day.

IMG_5128 fire_grate2

And last, final assembly. I bought a 3″ smoker/grill thermometer online, and used some nickel-plated chain for the lid stays. I also fabricated a sheet metal “drip tray” to cover the holes under the food and deflect some of the heat.

IMG_5113 IMG_5117 IMG_5119 IMG_5122 IMG_5123 IMG_5126 IMG_5130 IMG_5133 IMG_5134

IMG_5132

I figured my brother-in-law Pete would make much better use of this than me, so we gave it to him for Christmas. Here he is opening it…

Pete getting his present

79 Responses to “55-gallon drum smoker”

1. Sam writes:

I have been considering DIY smoker designs, and this design accomplishes exactly what I had in mind.
    I plan to copy it!

Awesome, let me know how it goes!

3. Bob Brenzel writes:

That is awesome. You need to get a Patent on that, then let me know when you plan on producing them I would love one.

4. JP writes:

Amazing! Great craftsman ship. Do you use an open source program for CAD? Looks fantastic, I just got the 140 for Christmas and I can’t wait to use it! I’m going to be making an r2d2 smoker I’ll have to post pics in the Toolmonger pool.

5. stu writes:

sweet dude! will u make me 1? i’ll pay you.

Thanks! I tried using Sketchup but I find it a little lightweight for anything but very simple models. I ended up using NX6, which could easily intersect the cylinders and then unwrap the curve.
    Good luck with R2… can’t wait to see it!

7. Sam writes:

I just found this today: http://www.harderwoods.com/pipetemplate.php
    I will be trying a template from there this weekend to start building mine.

8. Meat smoker from 55gal drums - Hack a Day writes:

[...] acquired welding skills to make something useful. With tasty flesh in mind he put together this meat smoker. What resulted is incredible, but the fact that he then gave it away as a gift is just [...]

9. Drew Stephens writes:

Wonderful project writeup and a very professional looking result. Keep up the good work!

10. Odd Rune writes:

Aaaw.. I need a bigger house and a welder now :)

Great craftsmanship!

11. passer-by writes:

Was passing by when I came across this! Thanks for taking the time to share what you know.

12. andrew writes:

Great Project and thank yhou for the inspiration, our BBQ has seen better days and this looks like the perfect replacement with a few modifications.

13. etienne writes:

Beautiful! I read through your built description and I am way impressed.

14. uberVU - social comments writes:

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by jeff_williams: I just need a welder… http://jmillerid.com/wordpress/2009/12/55-gallon-drum-smoker/

15. Rich Kildow writes:

How easy is it to control the heat, and are you able to cold smoke in it? I’ve been weighing a horizontal 2 drum smoker vs the upright drum: http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/05/my-uds-so-far.html

&

This seems to be the best of both worlds…cooking space, ease of controlling and reloading the fire/chips, portability & small footprint. The only advantage I can see that the double horizontal style has over this would be the ability to cold smoke. I’d be willing to bet that a small gas burner retrofitted in there would allow you to generate smoke w/ little excess heat.

Looks AWESOME!

Hey Rich, thanks!

Good question about the heat control… I gave the smoker to my brother-in-law last week and I don’t think he’s tried it yet (weather in NYC has been snowy and miserable so far). This dampers at the bottom can open up to eight 1″ holes, and the top up to six 1″ holes, so there should be plenty of air flow control. There is a big 16 gauge drip tray covering the openings between the barrels which should block most of the direct heat, but I don’t know if you could cold smoke with a charcoal (or wood) fire. You’re probably right about using a gas burner, and an electric hot plate might be even easier.

Good luck with your smoker!

17. Sabrina Fies writes:

Hola, mi nombre es Sabrina y estube buscando por internet, fue entonces que encontre tu blog, el cual me gusto mucho, el cual es bastante agradable para leer. Regreso la proxima semana para leerte de nuevo. Saludos Sabrina

18. Red writes:

G`day I have been looking on the net for a long time for a smoker I can build myself and think yours is brillant so simple so basic and so good I am going to build one and will pass your design on to a few friends .. Red .. Adelaide Aust ..

19. Carl writes:

Really cool. Surprised you didn’t add a water pan.

20. kaevur.com writes:

Tünnidest suitsuahi…

Kuidas tünnidest suitsuahju saab….

21. Smart Smoker Review - It Was On TV writes:

[...] 55-gallon drum smoker | design & make [...]

Thanks Carl, good point!

I thought about fabricating a water pan but in the end I figured it would be easier to just place a foil pan (or two, or three) on the drip tray and fill that with water. I think that would also absorb & diffuse a lot of the heat before it reaches the food.

23. Glavniru writes:

Моя история из жизни: мы как-то с мамой ехали в маршрутке,( мама спец по всем видам мяса на глаз определяет что это), на остановке залазит подвипывший мужик с куском свежака в одноразовом пакете. Едем. Маршрутка резко тормозит,мужик по инерции бежит вперед и пакет рвется ,оттуда выпадет свежак ,дальше мамины слова- ” Мужчина,у вас вымя выпало!” я медленно сползаю под сиденье , пассажиры ржут, мужик красный – выбегает на следующей остановке :)))

24. Lucille A Aaron writes:

Hullo there! I am wondering if you could assistance me? I am running a contest in my country on what the top overall purpose Search Engine Optimisation tool for WordPress is, and i have been given the job of asking respected WordPress webmasters and those owning professional looking WP web sites which of the top 3 tools they enjoy and use on their web sites. It would be very much appreciated if u could visit my website and input your answer so as to add your vote to the survey. Thanking you for your time!

25. Shane Bogart writes:

where did you download the CAD drawings. i cant seem to find them.

Hi Shane,

I’m putting together a post with the CAD files, should be up in a day or so–

jm

27. victor writes:

Jeol i would like to know are you selling these smokers. if so how much?

28. Shane Bogart writes:

hey joel,
    the hash marks for the CAD drawing, what are they measured in? like are the marks in inches?
    just wondering thanx

29. joe writes:

I printed the curve at full scale and wrapped it onto the barrel
    what is scale?

Hi Shane- The marks are centimeters.
    Joe- You should measure your barrel’s circumference and scale the curve image to fit. C = 2πr. Or better yet, use a flexible measuring tape to measure the circumference directly.

31. Shane Bogart writes:

hi joel,
    thanx for the reply that helps out alot

32. joe writes:

where can i get the 55 gallon drum pic at? thanks

33. joe writes:

for autocad?

34. Andy writes:

Joel,

Thank you for the inspiration. A few of my friends a couple members of my family and I are trying to duplicate your design for our Nebraska Cornhuskers Tailgate Smoker.

Feel free to track our progress here: http://huskertailgating.wordpress.com

We will use the same black paint design, but I also do freelance graphic design so I am going to add Nebraska Blackshirts skulls, famous quotes, & the correct typography. We just started working on the project a week ago so hopefully in a few weeks we will be finished.

Cool, Andy! It’s looking great! Yeah good luck with the paint removal– I’m curious to see how burning it off works for you.

I’ll keep an eye on your progress…

36. dasdasdas writes:

I like this site. Good job.

37. Jonathan Hoyt writes:

Any chance you could use drop.io or something to post the cad file so I can just use yours? A client of mine has a wide format printer or plotter and cad that they’ll let me use :-)

38. Jonathan Hoyt writes:

Ignore my previous comment, I just found your second post :-)

39. matt writes:

what would you charge for the template for the cut out that you used from your CAD

Hi Matt- The template is already in the post, for free! Just print this image at the right scale (which will vary with your particular barrels- just measure the circumference of the barrel and scale the image to the same length). Or, check out some of the links in the comments above, like this one.

41. don adamaitis writes:

im starting to copy your design (hope you dont mind) is it possible to get the formula for cad you used, my buddy is ok @ using cad,, thanks alot

42. don adamaitis writes:

opps i found it thanks alot joel

43. don adamaitis writes:

i found 2 food grade drums @ my local recycling center FREE

Sweet! Yeah I way over-paid for mine at $20 each. Live and learn.

45. Shane writes:

hey joel i just finished my smoker and it was pretty much my first project that i have welded and grinded by myself. it looked like something from monster garage but once the flat black went on it looked alot better. thanx for the idea. Ive even had a couple of people ask me to build some for them. Thanx for all the help and ideas again

Awesome Shane! Can you post some pictures?

47. Mike K writes:

Fantastic job on this smoker! I’m going to have to get CAD because I can’t figure out how to make that fit-up without it. Once I have that and am proficient enough to be able to use it, I’m going to go for it and build one of these also. Again, great job!!!

Thanks Mike, post some pictures when you’re done!

49. matt writes:

ill just set up my projector to the right length and trace it onto the barrel thanks for all the feedback and help. im aslo adding in a water pan and some other features. when im finished ill post some pics. also metalsdepot has some great pricing on the 1/4 304 stainless rod.

50. matt writes:

so i used my projector and a piece of hobby paper to get my pattern once i measured and sized it up. it worked flawlessly.

51. james writes:

you have just made my smoker when can i get it great job

52. Frank writes:

Id like to copy your design. Anyway I could purchase the CAD drawing in full size? I dont have accsess to such things and would be more than happy to pay for your time. Thanks.
    fgreen14@excite.com

53. john writes:

Hello recently i got the itch to build a smoker out of two 55 gallon drums. I did a little research before jumping into the project and stumbled across your site!!! Love the design and really want to do something similare,have a shop to do everything but the cad thing is wear i have a problem any wat to purchase the cad drawing in full size!!! thanks

54. Rene writes:

By far the best drum smoker ever

55. Chris writes:

Hey broseph…great job on the double barrel…I built one four years ago with the same basic concept but mine looked like frankenstine compared to yours. I cant weld so I used self tapping sheet metal screws. It looked like a beast…shoot me an email you gotta see it!

56. Gary writes:

That is a great looking smoker there!!! very cool design!! i have to make one now!!

57. Gary writes:

i made my own uds and now i have to have one of these, Thanks for the great blog!!!

58. Paul writes:

This seems like the best cross between a UDS (upright for fuel efficiency) and the “Big Baby” style double barrell smoker (large cooking area). The biggest complaint I’ve seen for over/under DBS’s is that you need to add fuel every hour or so.

I know nothing about CAD but will probably learn enough to use the JPG you’ve posted here. Thanks for posting your work.

59. Andy writes:

Blackshirts Smoker is now complete. Check it out on my Husker tailgate blog: http://huskertailgating.wordpress.com/

60. Rob writes:

Just wondering if you found any chemical that will help strip off the beige paint on the inside of the barrels. I used an antique furniture stripper for the outside and it worked amazingly, but it did absolutely nothing for the inside.I also tried burning it off with a plumbers torch and that was useless too. I am really trying to avoid grinding the inside.

Hi Rob– Sorry, I did the grinding thing. I wanted to stay away from chemicals, but I think burning would help. The torch might not be enough, can you start a fire in it, hobo-style? I’m sure that would do it eventually.

62. Jesse writes:

Nice work! I too have been looking for a design for a new grill since I am graduating from a Traeger. I am wondering what some of you would would think about adding a lower grate in the upper barrel so that you could also use it for some really hot direct heat, needed in order to cook steaks.

Well, this is what I’m going to try. I will be adding a side door in the upper barrel to access the upper coal rack off to one side.

Thanks for the inspiration to build the perfect smoker/grill combo!

63. Jesse writes:

PS: I think I’m going to finding a way to adapt these cast iron grill plates.
    They won’t quite fit the entire depth of the barrel, but hey, a 17″ X 31″ cast iron cooking surface for less money than the raw materials for building the stainless grates. I don’t have the ability to weld stainless either…

Hey Jesse- Good call on the grates. I’m happy with my custom stainless ones but it was a lot of effort that could have been worked around. If you acquire the means to weld stainless in the future you could always retrofit them.

Good luck, post some photos!

65. joe writes:

Just something you might want to try… At the welding school I attend we make smokers out of old high pressure tanks, drums and sometimes kegs to make extra money to by welding supplies. (also good fabrication practice) We usually just load up the smoker with a ton of charcoal or wood and get it as hot as we can. Burns the paint right off, no grinding or chemicals (except the burning paint I guess, lol).

66. Anonymous writes:

WOW

67. Frank writes:

NO MORE OVEN JERKIE FOR ME! Burning paint=bad….we did something like that in our electronics class, and I ended up passing out from the fumes and smoke….if you do it, do it outside…

68. Buy Facebook Fans writes:

Trackback…

[...] I found your entry interesting thus I’ve added a Trackback. [...]…

69. PETER , FL writes:

DUDE I GOTTA SAY I AM REALLYYYY IMPRESSED! VERYY NICE WORK!!

70. Duncan, NZ writes:

Fantastic, myself and the boys cant wait to give it a go!!

71. Phil writes:

awesomeness.
    I am scamming some free smoke oil barrels left over from the Air Show and plan to start working on the smoker this weekend. Thanks for putting this up here.
    Phil
    Jax, FL

72. Jim Walter writes:

Do you have a materials list for this smoker. I am building this in 2 or 3 weeks and would like to get my materials together so I can have it done in about 1 weekend.

Hi Jim,

Check here: http://jmillerid.com/wordpress/2010/02/55-gallon-drum-smoker-part-deux/

Good luck!

74. Leo writes:

Im new to welding and I just happen to have 2 55gal drums on hand. I have chosen your project as my first hands on project! Before I move on to my 6 1/2′ long 25″ in diameter butane tank that I’ll be putting on a trailor hitch!

75. tristan writes:

great read.

here is mine.

you will unfortunately have to sign up…….but its worth it.

76. Rob writes:

Joel,

Great job – my son and I are trying to duplicate your effort and we have one question.

How did you fabricate the curved pieces that fit along the curved edges of the doors?

Not the flat pieces on the curved part of the barrel – those curve in the thin direction of the metal and I can see how to curve those myself. But the pieces on the doors curve in the thick direction – either you have one heck of a rolling machine or you cut those from sheet stock?

Let me know!

Hi Rob,

Thanks! Yes the curved ribs on the doors were cut from sheet metal. I took a class at the local tech school that provided all the metal and tools… a great way to gain access to expensive metalworking equipment, not to mention learning to weld!

Good luck!
    Joel

78. Ryan writes:

Joel,
    Your smoker rocks! I found your site last week and now picked up 2 55 gallon drums. I have a friend that will be doing the welding for me. Thanks for the idea and Ill keep you posted on the progress.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan– share some photos when you’re done!